But with the new Department of Education (DepEd) memorandum, students will now have more free time to enjoy their weekends.
Education Secretary Bro. Armin Luistro ordered all public elementary school teachers to refrain from giving their students weekend assignments.
"Hindi lang naman sa classroom dapat matuto ang mga bata," explained Luistro.
The education secretary believes that children should spend more quality time with their families and play with their friends.
Jonah Granada, a mother of 2 elementary school students, welcomed the DepEd's memorandum.
She said she is happy because she will also have more time to rest.
"Lunes hanggang Huwebes tutok naman kami kaya dapat weekend, pahinga," she said.
Teachers however think otherwise.
"Kaming mga guro, trained kami, hindi namin sasadyaing pahirapan ang mga estuyante. Kailangan yung homework para hindi malimutan ang lesson," said TDC spokesperson Emmalyn Policarpio. (We're trained. It's not our task to make life difficult for students. They need the homework so they won't forget the lessons.)
According to the group, students should instead be taught discipline and time management so they can balance school work and family time.
In a separate interview with ANC, Alliance of Concerned Teachers secretary general France Castro understands the rationale behind the memorandum.
"We understand the intention [of the DepEd] that the families need more time for bonding. It's more worthwhile if the parent gets to teach the children," she said.
Parents will be able to supervise more the studies of their children, especially those in public schools, she said.
"With a bigger number of students in our classes, a teacher can't attend to all these students. We also need the help and support of parents," she added.
The Florencio Urot Memorial National High School in Barangay Mabolo has been renamed to Mabolo National High School.
The City Council unanimously approved the ordinance seeking to change the name of the high school during its regular session last Friday.
The move to rename the school was first proposed by former councilor Nestor Archival, but was continued by Councilor Noel Eleuterio Wenceslao after Archival's term of office ended.
Archival pushed for the change of name after the Mabolo barangay council passed a resolution, saying the land on which the school stands is a reclaimed property that is part of the North Reclamation Area, contrary to the prevailing belief that the land was donated by the late former city councilor and acting mayor.
Mabolo barangay captain Reynaldo Ompoc said Urot was not a resident of Mabolo, but of the adjacent barangay of Carreta.
Ompoc said that since 1985 when the school was established in Mabolo, barangay constituents have not been able to foster any kind of attachment with the school whose name is unfamiliar to them.
In his proposed ordinance, Archival pointed out that the move to rename the school will not diminish the honor and memory of Urot, as he has already been honored by the city by naming a street at the North Reclamation Area after him.
Urot was councilor of Cebu City from 1941 up to 1971 and sat as acting mayor for 108 days after former mayor Eulogio Borres and his vice mayor at that time sought other elective positions, requiring them to resign before they could campaign.
As first councilor, Urot then became the acting mayor while then Councilor Jose Rodriguez also assumed as acting vice mayor.
Urot was born in Tabogon town in northern Cebu in 1904 and later became the town's police chief before he moved to Cebu City after earning his law degree.
This time it will be for real - the police will strictly implement Republic Act 10054 better known as the Helmet Law.
The Land Transportation Office is strengthening its campaign against the so-called "colorum" vehicles.
Last week alone, the LTO has taken into custody 200 public utility vehicles, including nine buses owned by Vallacar Transit for various violations.
Vallacar Transit, the operator of Ceres bus lines, operates over a hundred bus units plying the northern and southern parts of Cebu.
The nine buses were seized for travelling out of line and for illegal transfer of plates, but were released eventually after the company paid a fine of at least P100,000.
Victims of the recent fire that left 90 families homeless in Barangay Guadalupe will receive P2,500 each in assistance from the barangay which will be charged against its calamity funds.
Barangay Captain Eugenio Faelnar said they are fast tracking the release of the assistance. He, however, said that they are yet to decide whether to give it in cash or in a form of building materials or other things they need while staying at the evacuation center.
The barangay placed the area under state of calamity immediately after the incident that razed 44 houses. Faelnar called for a special session to discuss the assistance they can extend to the victims.
This is the second time that the area was struck by fire.
Also during the incident, a member of the Verano Family, owner of a potion of the area, went to the barangay to ask assistance from the captain how they can evict these people occupying the lot without their permission.
Since the captain was in the fire scene during the time, the owner was not able to talk to Faelnar but the latter said they will send a formal communication requesting the owner to allow the victims to rebuild their houses while the city government is yet to look for a relocation site.
The Department of Social Welfare and Services of the city government has also started distributing meals to the victims for three days.
They will then distribute take home goods such as rice, canned goods, mosquito nets, pails, plate and utensils, among others. Victims will also receive building materials shortly.
The Cebu City Council's committee on budget and finance sees nothing unjust, excessive nor confiscatory in the proposed ordinance to increase the laboratory and other fees for various services offered by the City Health Department.
The burial permit fee will be increased to P50 from P10, fee for exhumation of cadaver shall go up to P50 from P15, removal or burial of cadaver from P15 to P50, permit to cremate will be P200 from P50, entrance from other town and transfer to other town will be from P25 to P30.
Cemetery fee will be increased to P150 from P15. Health inspection fees for business establishments based on capital will now range from P50 to P200 from just P25 to P50.
The health certificate fees for handlers will be increased to P20 from P10.
Those who want to secure medical, dental and other hospital certificates will have to pay P50 instead of P10 while those who want to secure medical and physical ex-amination for employment must pay P50 instead of P30.
A new service of swab sample rapid analysis will cost P250.
As the Cebu media celebrates Press Freedom Week, practitioners were told to be stewards of the truth.
Four newly-appointed board members of the Mactan Cebu International Airport Authority will take their oath of office today before the secretary of the Department of Transportation and Communication in Manila.
DOTC undersecretary Aristotle Batuhan confirmed that Pericles Dakay, Francis Monera, Melanie Ng and Roger Lim will take their oath of office as private representatives to the MCIAA board.
Dakay, an engineer, is currently the vice chairman of Mactan Cebu Bridge Management Board. Monera is a former president of the Cebu Chamber of Commerce and In-dustry. Ng, a businesswoman, is the president of Philippine Retailers Association-Cebu Chapter. While Lim is the president of Cebu Power Private Corporation and president and chief executive officer of East AsiaUtilities.
Mactan-Cebu International Airport Authority is a creation of Republic Act 6958 otherwise known as its corporate charter. The MCIAA is a government-owned and controlled corporation and is an attached agency of the Department of Transportation and Communication. RA 6958 was approved on July 31, 1990 but the Authority started to operate on December 18, 1990.
The corporate powers of the Authority is exercised by and vested in a board of eleven members, which is composed of a chairman, a vice chairman and nine members.
The DOTC secretary and the MCIA general manager shall act as ex-officio chairman and vice chairman, respectively. The assistant secretary of the Air Transportation Office and the secretaries of the following executive departments or any undersecretary or assistant secretary designated by the respective secretaries shall be ex-officio members, to wit: the Department of Finance, the Department of Justice and the Department of Tourism.
In addition, four members recommended by the governor of the Province of Cebu shall be appointed by the President of the Philippines for a term of four years from the private sector.
The governor of the Province of Cebu or his duly authorized representative shall be the ninth member.