The officials of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources are expecting marginal fisherfolk to have lesser catch soon as corals are slowly dying due to the increasing warm temperature.
There won't be any retrenchments at the Cebu Country Club Inc., after all.
The management withdrew yesterday their two "establishment termination reports" filed before the Department of Labor and Employment 7, which also served as notices of termination. Filed last November 26, 2010 and December 1, 2010, the two reports were withdrawn based on a letter that Jenny Panim, non-golf manager, sent to DOLE dated December 7, 2010.
The November 26-notice involved 40 employees to be retrenched while the December 1-notice involved seven employees.
"Cebu Country Club Inc. is withdrawing those two establishment termination report by reason of the fact that it has decided not to push through with retrenchment," the letter reads.
The letter added that in view of such withdrawal, the management is informing DOLE that the two notices filed earlier is now without force and effect.
Earlier, the Cebu Country Club Inc. Employees Union-Associated Labor Union-Trade Congress of the Philippines voted an overwhelming "yes" to strike amidst allegation that the management committed unfair labor practices against the union.
During the strike voting last week, 117 of the 140 union members yes to strike while not one voted against the strike.
The union filed a notice of strike last November 26, 2010 after 47 employees were retrenched by the management.
BARANGAY captains will be taught how to protect constituents against substandard infrastructure projects, as one of the priorities of newly elected Association of Barangay Councils (ABC) Cebu City president Michael Ralota.
The opposition party in Consolacion town will file a protest in the national office of the Liga nga mga Barangays 'sa Pilipinas' claiming the town chapter failed to observe the guidelines governing the conduct of elections.
Barangay Tayud captain Bingol Villo who was seeking the presidency of the league withdrew her candidacy after her camp noticed that the guidelines were not followed.
Villo questioned the election of barangay Poblacion Occidental captain Marilou Casul as president of the league.
Casul assumed as the new president of the league after acting president Rogelio Maquilan lost in his re-election bid in Tayud against Villo.
Maquillan assumed the post vacated by barangay Casili captain Analie Gungob, who was elected as a regular member of the municipal council of Consolacion.
In yesterday's press conference, Villo said barangay Saksak captain Francisco Pagaran questioned the composition of the board of election supervisors when they chose Consolacion National High School Principal Adelina Semblante.
Semblante was not appointed by the members of the board, being one of the requirements.
THE 14th branch of the Regional Trial Court (RTC) is set to hear the civil suit the Provincial Government filed to recover part of the P98.9 million it paid for the Balili estate.
Businessman Crisologo Saavedra wants to be heard before the proceeding gets underway on Dec. 14.
He is rushing the submission of a letter that formally informs Judge Raphael Yrastorza of the 31-page Office of the Ombudsman fact-finding report, which recommended that Gov. Gwen Garcia be investigated for entering into a contract "manifestly and grossly disadvantageous to the government."
For Governor Gwendolyn Garcia, "jealousy" might have triggered Vice Governor Gregorio Sanchez Jr. objection to the move of the Provincial Board commending her for taking part in the Governors Summit Against Climate Change in the United States.
PREPARATIONS for the turnover rites of the Archdiocese of Cebu leadership are underway, but the date may have to be changed.
Cebu Archbishop Ricardo Cardinal Vidal said the date, which was originally set on Jan. 13, has been moved a day earlier.
Vidal told reporters yesterday that Auxiliary Bishop Julito Cortes will be overseeing preparations for the turnover rites between himself and Archbishop Jose Palma next month.
Regional Police Director Ager Ontog has ordered a follow-up on reports that fugitive Senator Panfilo Lacson was sighted in Cebu a few days ago.
"JAMES Amper will never be alive again," Maribel Pitogo told her live-in partner Alfredo Taglucop Jr. in Cebuano.
Maribel, 26, and her nine-year-old daughter Maymay faced Alfredo in the office of Senior Supt. Erson Digal, Cebu Provincial Police Office director.
Alfredo, who was also charged with parricide yesterday, admitted hacking James to death last Sunday afternoon because he believed the boy was not his own.
The father who hacked his one-year-old son to death said he was prompted to commit the crime because of rumors that the victim was not his child.